Pages

Apr 24, 2013

Nominated for The Liebster Award!



  
I have news!!! I have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Stephanie MableMakes!
Thank you very much for your support!

     "The Liebster Award is for blogs with fewer than 200 followers to encourage and spread the word about them. There are rules associated with the award and they are 1) Answer 11 questions from your nominator 2) Nominate 11 bloggers and 3) Ask them 11 questions. The rules seem to vary but these are the ones I’m going to follow. I think the main thing is to get the word out there about great up and coming blogs!"

1. Tell me a few things about you and why you sew or knit?
I'm 25 and I live in a small city by the sea in Bulgaria. I love swimming, painting, sewing and walking on the beach on the sunset /yes I'm a very romantic person :)/ My mother inspired me to start sewing. At the beginning when I didn't know what to do I was watching my mother making wonderful clothes for herself and me. She always placed her heart and soul into what she was doing. She used to tell me "When going after something always take it to the end, or do not start it at all". I remembered those words, and whenever I start a new project I hear them in my head. So everything always gets finished. My mother had a great style and I always try to follow it when visualize my future models. We had the same taste for a good dress. When she liked something I liked it as well and vice versa.

 This is my city.

 Me and my mother.



2. Why did you start your blog?
I started my blog spontaneously. No one knew about it. I found out that few bulgarians run blogs for hobbies like sewing and DIY so I decided to give it a try. Since I started my blog I made great contacts with people from all over the world. I am dreaming that many Bulgarians will follow me.

3. What is your fashion style? Does it match your handmade style?
I am at a stage of forming (by experiments) my style. Shortly, I can described it as sensual and ladylike, sometimes it is sport-elegant or casual. Personally, I think that people should try new things and experiment (not too extreme changes), because you can find out that you feel good in wearing something totally different from your style. The clothes I'm making always match my style.


4. Where do you get your inspiration for projects from?
As I already mentioned my strongest inspiration is my mother, but I can be inspired from almost everything...listening to music, dancing... and then I visualize about what I would love to wear...often that is how I gave birth to some of my best ideas....At the end of each sewing tutorial I put a link to a song which inspired me in some way.



5. Where did you learn to sew/knit/crochet?
My mother showed my the basic sewing techniques. After that I started to experiment with new methods. Everyday I search for new ideas, sewing techniques and patterns. I love watching videos named "How to" :) My goal is to make my own patterns, because it is easy to use models from magazines, but it is far more satisfying to know that everything you have done is made by your own hands. It is not an easy task, but I like to learn new things and I'm not afraid to make mistakes.




6. What is your process – for sewing do you make a muslin, for knitting do you make sure to swatch? Or do you just make it up as you go?
Usually I use rice paper, since my intenion is to share my patterns with everyone. But when I'm not very sure what I want to do I just get a chalk and start drawing directly on the fabric. At the begging I make many mistakes, but I learn from them. This is a natural process. I am never giving up, because something does not turn out perfectly the first time. I always repeat it until it's done properly.

7.  Where do you buy your fabric or wool? 
There are not many fabric shops in my town. In most cases they usually sell the same material. When I see a unique fabric I grab it immediately, because there are not many deverse prints in the shops.


8. What technique or item of clothing are you afraid to make?
Still, I am afraid to try evening gown. I have had many inquiries about making an evening gown, but I have always refused, saying that I am not confident enough in my skills. Nevertheless, I am planning to change that, soon.

9. What was the first thing you ever made?
The first thing I ever made were a couple of nightdresses for me and my mother. I did not have a prepared pattern, so I used only our measures and a pencil.

10. What is the best thing you ever made?
The last winter I made myself a coat, using pattern from Burda style. It was quite difficult, because the fabric was very thick and hard to manipulate. Also it was the first time I was attaching a lining to such a big garment. At the end everything turned out almost perfectly (with few mistakes) :).



11. Do you work in a creative industry? If not do you plan to eventually make a business out of your crafting or do you want to keep it a lovely hobby?
I have a marketing degree and at the moment I am working in a real estate agency. Sewing is a wonderful hobby for me. When I get back home, I begin sewing and forget about all problems. It is like living in two different worlds. The first one, rational and routine and the other filled up with colors and passion. Here I must say that the second world is the one I truly love and if I can make it my way of living I would certainly be the happiest human being on the planet.


Thank you again wholehartedly for the opportunity Stephanie!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dilyana! I loved your answers! I can't wait to see what new ideas you come up with and I love that you don't always work from patterns and make up your own designs. I'm starting to do the same and I find what you've done so far very inspiring :)

    Thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I wish you all the best with your own designs!

      Delete